The Ancestors of John and Rosie Wells
4. Frederick William APPERLEY was born on 8 Jan 1894 in Aston, Birmingham. He was a Gun assembler in 1920 in Birmingham. He died Sept Qtr 1978 in Birmingham. He was married to Sarah Ann BUMPAS on 3 Apr 1920 in Bordesley, Warwickshire.
5. Sarah Ann BUMPAS was born on 25 Aug 1892. She died June Qtr 1974 in Birmingham.
6. August Friedrich Wilhelm SCHMITZ was born on 22 Feb 1895 in Hattingen. He was a Police in 1920. He died in 1966 in Bielefeld, Germany. He was married to Paula Sophia SCHUETTER on 18 Jun 1920 in Brackwede, Germany.
7. Paula Sophia SCHUETTER was born on 29 Dec 1897 in Brackwede. She was a Cook in 1920. She died c1980 in Bielefeld, Germany.
8. Arthur Charles APPERLEY was born on 13 Sep 1857 in Blacklands gate, Ashperton. He was baptized on 8 Nov 1857 in Ashperton. He was a Stonemason Journeyman in 1894 in Birmingham. He was a Labourer in 1920. Also known as Charles Arthur. He was married to Letitia BRITTLE on 29 Apr 1888 in Balsall Heath, Birmingham.
9. Letitia BRITTLE was born about 1861.
10. William BUMPAS was born about 1860 in King's Heath, Worcs. He was a Labourer in 1920.
11. Laura Alice WILKINSON was born about 1868 in King's Norton.
12. Friedrich Heinrich August SCHMITZ was born on 11 Apr 1865 in Hattingen, Germany. He was married to Karolina Augusta KLEPPI on 23 Nov 1889 in Hattingen, Germany.
13. Karolina Augusta KLEPPI was born on 27 Jan 1868 in Linden.
14. Johann Heinrich SCHUETTER was born on 27 Mar 1855 in Ummeln, Germany. He was married to Hanna Karolina KLATERBOER on 21 Jan 1887 in Brackwede, Germany.
15. Hanna Karolina KLATERBOER was born on 5 Nov 1859 in Ummeln, Germany.
16. Robert APPERLEY was born in 1834/35. He was baptized on 4 Jan 1835 in Ashperton. He was living between 1857 and 1861 in Blacklands gate, Ashperton. He was a Stonemason. He was married to Ann Abigail MALLETT on 27 Jul 1856 in Ashperton.
17. Ann Abigail MALLETT was born about 1835 in Hereford.
18. Edward George BRITTLE was a Blacksmith.
20. Richard BUMPUS was born in 1827 in Stretton-on Fosse, Warks..
21. Ann ? was born about 1832 in Birmingham.
22. William WILKINSON was born in Dudley, Worcs.
24. August SCHMITZ. He was married to Elisabeth WEBER.
25. Elisabeth WEBER.
26. Wilhelm KLEPPI. He was married to Wilhelmina WASSERMANN.
27. Wilhelmina WASSERMANN.
28. Friedrich Wilhelm SCHUETTER was a Postman in 1887. He was married to Hanna Christina SIEKMANN.
29. Hanna Christina SIEKMANN.
30. Franz Heinrich KLATERBOER. He was married to Hanna Karolina BECKERMANN.
31. Hanna Karolina BECKERMANN.
32. Thomas APPERLEY was born in 1795 in Ashperton. He was baptized on 27 Dec 1795 in Ashperton. He was a Parish clerk. Stonemason in 1856. He was buried in 1872 in Ashperton. He died on 2 Jan 1872 in Ashperton. He was married to Amelia BAGGOT(T) on 17 Jul 1823 in Ashperton.
33. Amelia BAGGOT(T) was born about 1800. She was buried in 1877 in Ashperton. She died on 6 Jun 1877.
40. Joseph BUMPUS was born in Stretton-on Fosse, Warks..
64. Thomas APPERLEY was born in 1753/54 in Ashperton. He was baptized on 10 Feb 1754 in Ashperton. He died in 1810. He signed a will in 1810. He was at death, "late of Cradley" in 1810. He was a Stonemason. He was married to Hannah DAVIS on 23 Jul 1776 in Bosbury.
65. Hannah DAVIS was born about 1755. She died 19 Mar1823 in Ashperton.
80. Richard BUMPAS was born in 1766. He was baptized on 10 Dec 1766. He died in 1842/43. He was married to Mary SORRELL on 1 Feb 1789 in Stretton-on Fosse, Warks..
81. Mary SORRELL was born in 1764. She died in 1843 in Stretton-on Fosse, Warks.. She was buried on 25 Apr 1843 in Stretton-on Fosse, Warks..
128. James APPERLEY was born between 1715 and 1727 in Ashperton. He died in 1784 in Ashperton. He was a Stonemason. He was married to Elizabeth JAMES by 1764.
129. Elizabeth JAMES.
160. Richard BUMPAS was born on 14 Mar 1724 in Ascot under Wychwood, Oxfordshire ??????. Not proven He died in 1790 in Stretton-on Fosse, Warks.. He was buried on 17 Jun 1790 in Stretton-on Fosse, Warks.. He was married to Martha HANKS on 1 Jan 1754 in Barcheston, Warks..
161. Martha HANKS died in 1813 in Stretton-on Fosse, Warks.. She was buried on 11 Mar 1813 in Stretton-on Fosse, Warks.. She was born c1732 in Willington, Warks..
256. James APPERLEY was born in 1699. He died in 1727 in Ashperton. He was a Stonemason.
257. Joan was born in 1699. She died in 1736 in Ashperton.
512. James APPERLEY.
1024. Thomas? APPERLEY was living in 1660 in Ashperton?.
4. Herbert WELLS was born on 6 Apr 1900 in Leeds Yorks UK. He died on 5 Apr 1968 in Whitby Yorks. He was married to Beatrice HARDWICK on 16 Aug 1922 in Leeds Yorks UK.
5. Beatrice HARDWICK was born on 21 Feb 1901 in Leeds Yorks UK. She died on 5 Jun 1974 in Leeds Yorks UK.
6. William Michael KEWITSCH was born on 29 May 1902 in Scarborough. He died in 1973 in Leeds. He was buried in 1973 in Harehills Cemetery, Leeds. He was married to Ethel DALLISON in 1924 in Leeds.
7. Ethel DALLISON was born in 1903 in Warsop Vale, Notts.. She died in 1982 in Haydock. She was buried in 1982 in Harehills Cemetery, Leeds.
8. John WELLS was born on 12 Mar 1868 in Stammergate Ripon Yorks. He was living in 1931 in 29 Jackson St., Petone. He died on 17 Jun 1931 in Wellington Hospital, New Zealand. He was buried on 19 Jun 1931 in Karori, New Zealand. He was a Tailor/Tailors cutter. He was married to Mary Ann KIRKLEY on 8 Sep 1894 in Leeds Yorks UK.
9. Mary Ann KIRKLEY was born in 1872. She died in 1942.
10. Harry HARDWICK was a Bricklayer.
12. Bruno KEWITSCH was born in 1864 in Prussia (east of Danzig). He died in 1936 in Leeds. He was buried in 1936 in Killingbeck Cemetery, Leeds. He was married to Annie BLAKEY in 1895 in St. Andrews Church, Leeds.
13. Annie BLAKEY was born in 1864 in Lincoln. She was buried in Beckett Street Cemetery, Leeds.
14. John William Riley DALLISON was born in 1873. He was baptized in 1873 in Alfreton & Ripley Cicuit Primitive Meth., Derbyshire. He died in 1951. He was buried in 1951 in Woodhouse Cemetery, Leeds. He was married to Emma WEBSTER in 1896.
15. Emma WEBSTER was born about 1879 in Warwick?. She died in 1925 in Leeds. She was buried in 1925 in Woodhouse Cemetery, Leeds.
16. William WELLS was born in 1841. Illegitimate. He was baptized on 12 Jul 1841 in Ripon Yorks. He signed a will on 2 Jun 1922 in Ripon. He leaves everything, except his tools, benches and stock in trade (these go to his son William) to his two daughters Gertrude and Lydia who are also his executors. His property includes 54 Blossomgate (inc shop with antiques and furniture), the house next door and Nos 5 & 7 Ashgrove, Bishopton, Nr. Ripon. He was buried in 1929 in Sharow church, Nr. Ripon.. Gravestone is also a memorial stone to other members of the family. He died on 2 Jan 1929 in Ripon Yorks. He was a Joiner and Cabinet Maker in 54 Blossomgate, Ripon, Yorks. He was married to Harriet Selby HARGRAVE on 29 Jun 1867 in Dewsbury.
17. Harriet Selby HARGRAVE was born in 1842 in Ripon Yorks. She died in 1908.
18. John Henry KIRKLEY was born in 1851 in Ripon. He was christened on 23 Mar 1851 in Ripon.
19. Ann - was born about 1854. She died on 22 Oct 1923. She was buried on 25 Oct 1923 in Woodhouse Hill Cemetery, Leeds.
24. Carl Joseph Julius KEWITSCH was born on 19 Mar 1835 in Danzig. He served in the military in 1866 in Oppeln. Note on back of photo of Carl holding trumpet:
"Carl Kewitsch Sergt. im pion. Batl No1 Ruckker aus dem Kriege 1866"
photo taken in Oppeln. He died on 14 May 1894 in Danzig. He was a Geldbrieftrager in Danzig. He was also known as Kiewicz. Carl was both a trumpeter and organist. He was married to Maria Berta LABUHN on 13 Oct 1857 in Danzig.
25. Maria Berta LABUHN was born on 8 Jan 1836 in Danzig. She died on 24 Oct 1898 in Danzig.
29. Harriet DALLISON was born about 1852 in Selston, Notts.. She died in 1938 in Mansfield, Notts.. Harriet married William Henry Rhodes in 1877. He was born in
33. Lydia WELLS was born in 1811. She was baptized on 5 Mar 1811.
36. John KIRKLEY was a Painter / Brushmaker between 1837 and 1851 in Ripon. He was married to Mary PEACOCK on 26 Nov 1836 in Ripon.
37. Mary PEACOCK.
48. Johann Jacob KEWITSCH was born on 31 Dec 1806 in Tiegenhagen. He died in Danzig. He was a Postbeamter and Hobrist. He was married to Anna Amatia SCHIMSKY on 8 Sep 1833 in Feldbischof.
49. Anna Amatia SCHIMSKY was born in 1814 in Alt-Schottland. She died on 5 Aug 1886 in Danzig.
50. Andreas LABUHN was born on 18 Nov 1803 in Rheda. He died on 30 Jan 1873 in Danzig. He was an Arbeitsmann (labourer?). He was married to Anna KATOWSKI on 6 Jun 1830 in Danzig.
51. Anna KATOWSKI was born on 15 May 1791 in Rheinfeld. She died on 27 May 1876 in Danzig.
58. George DALLISON was born in 1826 in Codnor Pk. Derbyshire. He died in 1890 in Basford?. He was married to Elizabeth COOK in 1846.
59. Elizabeth COOK was born in 1826.
66. William WELLS was born in 1754. He was baptized on 20 Apr 1754. He was married to Mary DARLEY on 8 Nov 1790 in Ripon Yorks.
67. Mary DARLEY was baptized in 1773.
96. Johann KIEWITSCH was an Organist. He was married to Helene KNOBKE.
97. Helene KNOBKE.
102. N.W. KATOWCKY was an Arbeiter (workman).
116. Thomas DALLISON was born in 1794 in Bedworth, Warwickshire. He died in 1830 in Kirkby. He was married to Anne NAYLOR in 1813.
117. Anne NAYLOR was born about 1788 in Shipley, Notts.. She died about 1863 in Kirkby.
132. Stephen WELLS was born in 1724/25. He was baptized on 14 Jan 1724/25. He was living on 20 Feb 1750 in Cowmyers, but was late of Hutton Hall. He signed a will on 25 Jun 1795 in Nether Close, in the township of Azerley, Nr Galphay. (Borthwick Institute, York). Kess Beck (aka Witch-in-the-Woods/Nether Close House?) is left to his son William Wells. John Hammond is said to be occupying the adjoining Cowmyers and Robert Hammond is Stephens son-in-law. He mentions Mary his cousin. A Cottage, barn stable and other appurtenances and land in Grewelthorpe (occupied by Christopher Harrison) is left to his so Stephen. His son, John, is sole executor of the will. He died in 1801 in Nether Close, in the township of Azerley, Nr Galphay. He was buried on 12 Mar 1801. He was a Farmer in Kess Beck, adjoining Cowmyers. He was married to Catherine FENWICK on 17 Jun 1753 in Ripon Yorks.
133. Catherine FENWICK died in 1794. She was buried on 21 Sep 1794.
232. Thomas DARLISON was born in 1750. He died in 1837. Thomas married Elizabeth Smith in 1782, who died in 1788. He was married to Elizabeth HILL in 1790.
233. Elizabeth HILL.
264. William WELLS was born in 1680. He was baptized on 26 Sep 1680. He died in 1728. He signed a will on 22 Jun 1728 in Azerley, Nr. Galphay, Yorks. (Leeds Archive Department). His wife Elizabeth (sole executor) is left all his personal estate and lands. Steven, his eldest son, is left all his lands at Cowmyers when he attains the age of twenty one. He refers to John Wells his brother-in-law, and John Wells of Melmerby, his own brother (to be countabell as tristees). He was buried on 13 Aug 1728. He was a yeoman in Azerley, Nr. Galphay, Yorks. He was married to Elizabeth SMITHSON 25 Feb1719/20 in Ripon Yorks.
265. Elizabeth SMITHSON died in 1742. She was buried on 9 Aug 1742.
464. William DARLISON.
465. Elizabeth -.
528. Henry WELLS was born in 1639 in Cowmyers, Galphay, Yorks. He was baptized on 15 Oct 1639. He signed a will on 9 Jul 1712 in Cowmyers, Galphay, Yorks. (Borthwick Institute, York, Yorks).
To his younger sons Henry, William and George Wells he leaves the old fire house, barn,garden and ffould garth. The close called the pasture, one close called corn close lying on the north of the said close called the pasture, one close called the north carr as it was divided at the first and soe much of the close called the north pasture from the ditch of the said carr to the south east corner of one close of arrable land called beck close together with the said close called beck close and alsoe all the closes of meadow called the low meadow closes from the head of the meadow grounds late of John Wells and now of Robert Wells. Also the little garth on the north side of the new ffire house (in which Henry dwells) of about 8 x12 yards and extending eastwards between the two houses together with the north end of an old barne carthouse or slaught house. John Wells the eldest son received the new ffire house and all the remaining residue of lands and tenements at Cowmyers.
He died in 1716/17. He was buried on 6 Jan 1716/17. He was a yeoman in Cowmyers. He was married to Isabell WELLS (gt.gt. granddaughter of Robert Welles of Galphay) about 1671. Henry Wells was the eldest son of Christopher Wells of Cowmyers.
529. Isabell WELLS died in 1719. She was buried on 2 Apr 1719.
1056. Christopher WELLS signed a will on 22 Mar 1657 in Cowmyers, Galphay, Yorks. (Mss No. Prob Reg 45, Folio 538r, Order No. 6104. Borthwick Institute, York, Yorks.).
To his younger son William Wells he leaves the old ffire house, barn, garden and fould garth together with the well pasture, corn close lying on the north of the said pasture, beck close and the north carr as it was deinded at first and soe much of the north pasture from the ditch of the said carr to the south east corner of one close of arable ground called beck close, together with the said beck close and alfe all the sowe meadowe closes from the head of John Wells meadowes. To his eldest son, Henry Wells, he leaves the rest of his houseing and lands at Cow Myers. His daughters, Dorothy and Mary Wells were the executors of the will. The will was processed 24 Feb 1663 (Commonwealth era delay).
Ffrances his 'now wife' (ie not first wife) may not be the mother of all, or any, of his children. He died on 22 Mar 1657/58 in Cowmyers, Galphay, Yorks. He was buried on 26 Mar 1657/58. He was a yeoman in Cowmyers, near Galphay.
On 25 Oct 1641 sale of Cowmyers and Randall Myers by William Mallory of Studley to Ursula Roads for £465 in the occupation of Christopher Wells of Cow Myers by Lease of £12 per annum.
13 April 1650, Ffeoffment of Gaughay Miln and Milne closes or other lands (77/1 1190-1205, 1592-1661 Leeds Archive) and indenture, Sir Bryan Palmer of Lindley, York, Knight with Christopher and John Wells of Cowmyers and others: All that watercourse Milne called Gauygay Milne and all those closes and parcels of ground sometimes called by the several names of the Milne Closes, Cowmyers, Gauygay Woods and the farme are in divided into many several closes situate and lying and beinge in Gauygay aforesd and elsewhere in the - - - of Ripon and Kirkbymalzeard or either of them in the countie of York and a parcel of pasture or wood in Clitherom (Clotherholme) in the parishof Ripon containing 7 acres of ground both farmes more or less sometimes in the occupation of John Norton. All premisses were sometimes part of the possession of the late dissolved Monastery of Fntns - - - -etc. They paid £1,336. William Wells is one of the witnesses (his mark).
Christopher is probably the brother of Tristram Wells snr (d.1676) son of Ffrances Wells of Galphay Mill/Closes who in turn is the son of Thomas Wells (d.1597).
1057. Ffrances -.
1058. William WELLS was born about 1600. He died in 1670 in Galphay, Yorks.. He was buried in 1670 in Kirkby Malzeard, Yorks. He signed a will on 10 Aug 1670 in Galphay, Yorks.. The will is in the Leeds Archive Dept. His wife is to occupy his house, where he dwells untill William, his eldest son, is 21. His wife is to have the old house and barn for the rest of her life. It is then to pass to his younger son Nicholas. There is a detailed description of the layout of his property (inc. the North Garth, the Colt Fall). His daughters Dorothy, Elizabeth and Ruth are mentioned. Henry Wells and George Marshall, his sons-in law, were the executors. He was a Yeoman in Galwhay (Galphay).
1059. Jaine -.
2112. Ffrances WELLS was involved in a land deal in 1609 in Galphay.
A 1610/11 document refers to a 1609 deal involving half a close called Little Inges for £20 from George Maltus of Galphay to Ffrances Wells of Galphay. Between 1592-1661 a document (77/1,1190-1205 Leeds Archives) refers to Galphay Mill and Mill Closes and, amongst others, mentions Francis Wells.
2116. Robert WELLS was born about 1576. He died about 1644 in Galphay. He was buried about 1644 in Kirkby Malzeard, Yorks. He signed a will on 28 Dec 1644 in Gawhay (Galphay). The will (in MP 36/2) is in the Leeds Archive Dept.
He leaves the following:
To his son John Wells, 3 oxen, 1 white mare, 4 kyne, 1 javlin, 1 thwart bawe, 1 hacke, 1 speake (spoke of a wooden wheel) shase and 4 iron wedges. To his son Thomas Wells, 4 stotts (young ox), 1 stirke (young cattle-any kind), 4 stript milke quies and 1 baye horse. To grandchild Isabell Wells, 1 quie stirke. Dorathie, his wife, and John Wells were the executors. He was a Yeoman in Galphay, Yorks.
2117. Dorathie - died in 1651 in Cowmyers. She was buried on 20 May 1651 in Ripon.
4224. Thomas WELLS was born about 1539. He was living from 2 Feb 1583 in Farmhold with appurtenances in Galphay. The property was rented from Sir William Mallory of Hutton Park. He died in 1597 in Galphay. He was buried in 1597 in Kirkby Malzeard, Yorks. He signed a will on 4 Apr 1597 in Gawhay (Galphay).
In the will he leaves the rights to his farmhold to his grandson Robert Wells, son of his son Robert. He also gives to this grandson 'one coate of plate and one steele capp'. His ganddaughter Ellen Welles, sister of Robert, is bequethed a milk cow and two yewes. His wife Ellen and grandson Thomas are the executors of the will. The will is in the Leeds Archive Dept. There is a long inventory. Associated papers refer to 'John Grant als Wells' showing a reversion to Grant since the making of the will of Robert Welles. He was a tenant farmer (husband[man]) in Galphay.
4225. Ellen -.
8448. Robert WELLES was born about 1516.
He was living from 2 Jun 1538 in Tenement in Galphay with all appurtenances. Although already occupied by Robert, the property was leased (at 5 marks a year. 1mark = 13s 4d = 0.66p, 5marks = 3l 6s 8d = £3.33p) for a further 45 years on 2nd June 1538 (ie to 1583) by Abbot Marmaduke and the Convent of Fonteyns (Fountains Abbey Lease Book, entry No 264). On the 20th May 1553 (Calendar of Patent Rolls, HMSO printed in English and copy in Latin with Vyner papers in Leeds) Granted to George Talbot, knight, lord Talbot, of the manor and castle of Balsover, Derb., six messuages in Craven, Yorkshire (inc. common of pasture in Kyrkebye Maldesert Moor) in several tenures of Robert Welles, John Maltehowse, Thomas Duffield, the elder, William Stele, Thomas Duffield, the younger, and Thomas Braithwayte (3l 6s 8d each per year), also two woods called Galghye Woode and Cowmyres (20s each year) in tenure of William Mallerye, esquire, a thicket or coppice called Skeugh in Galghye (3s each year) in tenure of Robert Wrekes and the parcel (7ac.) of pasture and Wood in Clatherom (20s each year) within Ripon Parish, in tenure of John Norton, esquire, all which belonged to Fountains Monastry.
He died in 1584/85 in Galphay. He was buried in 1584/85 in Kirkby Malzeard, Yorks. He signed a will on 11 Sep 1584 in Galwhaye (Galphay). The will (in MP 36/1) is in the Leeds Archive Dept.
John Wells ails Grante is bequeathed an 'annuytye from lande in Kirkbiemalzeard and Laverton'. He gives his grandson Ffrancis 'a cowe and one quye'. A quye is a heifer under 3 years of age. Ffrancis Welles (his son Thomas's son) and Katheryne, daughter to Ffrancis, are the executors of the will. Probate dated 1585
Back to Contents